Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back in Business

Well I have to apologize for the delay in posts. The month of December was a mix of chaos, boredom, and holiday festivities.

After the 3 initial weeks of IOBC, we were all given two weeks of block leave to head home and see family. I enjoyed time with my Dad, had a few visits with my sister in Burlington, and enjoyed seeing friends. By far the best portion of the trip was heading down to Wilmington with my old roommate from College, Christian Matthews. We stayed met up with a small crew of friends and celebrated the coming of the new year in style. This is a portion of our crew. From left to right is Christian, Brett, Treat, John with Kevin and Corrie in front.

The break was an excellent time to reset and refocus on training. Now that most of the classwork is over we have finally started to head to the field. Last night we spent the night on the land nav course which was started at 4 oclock this morning. Maybe it is because I like walking in the woods or maybe I am a little nuts, however getting the chance to challenge yourself physically and mentally is a real invigorating experience. You get to see what you really care about when a little stress and perspective is applied.

I think the best part about today was a brief (yes typically boring) by the Deputy Commanding General of Fort Benning, Brigadier Gen. Miles. He did the usual Army schpeal describing where the U.S. Army is strategically and how we should apply ourselves as LTs. However it wasn't until the end that he really struck a chord. He talked about how we should carry ourselves, not the usual "be all you can be", but more about a personal desire to want to lead soldiers. His bottomline is a quote I instantly wrote down,

"Soldiers will not care what you know until they know you care"

What an important reminder as a leader and even as a human being. In the spirit of the new year I have taken a few new years resolutions. I won't name them all for the sake of boring the huge crowd out there, but I have decided to take a new step at being honest, that real honesty with people that lets them know you care. We'll see how it goes.

Hello 2009, Happy Holidays everyone!

1 comment:

Leslie Ann Lovett, MSW, LCSW said...

I **love** the quote that General Miles gave and inspired you! Being your mom and SO BIASED, I know your heart and know that you care. Just like WAL*E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ncrzNJ3zE4 and his servant's heart. Thanks for keeping us up to date with your blog!

Love you!
xoxoxo Mom